Let’s cut the crap and get it out there. It’s bloody hard being a successful business woman by yourself. It’s not unachievable, but it’s a lot of hard slog. On the other hand, having a support team you can rely on to help you hurdle jump is an amazing resource. But how do you actually create a highly efficient support team?
7 Must Have Characteristics of Your Empowered Support Team
Okay, so it’s not magic. Your team of lovely ladies is not going to instantly appear because you need them. Rather it is a careful balance of you seeking out good fits for your team, as well as them deciding for themselves if they are a good fit or not. So let’s jump into identifying what makes a great team of merry helpers for women in business.
- Planning – they have a group plan and know both as a group and individually where you are going and how they can help you.
- Responsibility – team members actually take on board some responsibility for helping you succeed. Not all mind you, because you are responsible for your success too.
- Sharing is caring – nobody is the same and we’ve all got different ideas. A successful team acknowledges everyone’s contribution as important. They also respect and encourage views which differ from their own.
- Sharing leadership – everyone can’t be great all the time. As human beings we’re not perfect and that’s what makes us amazing women. Sharing the role of leader amongst the group helps utilise our strengths, drives results and equalises players.
- Goals – along with planning, if you don’t have goals then you’re going nowhere. Your successful team should always be aiming for something, helping keep you growing on your journey.
- Fun – if you’re not enjoying yourself, then your team sure as hell won’t be. Keeping things light, jokey and enjoyable is key to achieving success. It makes your team more effective at communicating, developing strategies and increases productivity. Make time for fun ladies, it is a high priority.
- Tension diffusion – we’re never always going to agree. Conflict is a part of life and when you get a top notch group of women together, we’re not all going to see eye to eye. But what your support team needs to do is work at resolving conflicts and tension when they arise, rather than shoving them under the rug. We all know that doesn’t work and only makes you annoyed at a later date.
So ladies, hunt out those people who are on the same page as you. Look for strengths you need more of and ideas which differ from yours. Aim for the stars and you will reach them, I know you will.
And if you’re feeling lonely at the top, it’s time for you to surround yourself with a powerful mastermind group. Check out my Empress Club to see if this is a good fit for you.