You know the pattern by now – you set those magnificent goals at the beginning of the year. You put your head down and you work your butt off every single day. After a while it feels like you’re doing the same thing day in and day out and you’re not making any progress. You start doubting yourself. You start getting tired. You start slowing down.
You hit the slump.
And when you’re down in the slump, when you have lost your motivation, every day seems like a futile attempt to a destination that doesn’t even excite you anymore.
Don’t worry hun, I have you covered. In fact, bouncing back to your kick-ass self is easier than you think. So let’s get started.
1. Take a break. The reason why we get so demotivated is that we get stuck in a rut. The momentum starts taking over and we’re re-working the same muscles (whether physical or mental) over and over again. This leads to exhaustion and we lose focus of the bigger picture. It is time to walk away from the situation, take in some fresh air, and replenish your body and mind.
For some this could take an hour, for some a week-end, for some a week. Take whatever time you need but make sure you give yourself a time-frame so that this does not become an excuse to walk away from your goals.
2. Remember your big why. I know you’re tired of me going on about your big why, but this is the number one reason most people don’t achieve their goals! They set goals that are not really important to them beyond the normal surface reasons. When you remember why you started the journey, the difference it will make in your life, the impact it will have in others’ lives, the woman you will be at the end of it, you will feel an influx of renewed motivation.
3. List your achievements thus far. Yes it is really easy to forget all we accomplish on a daily basis because we are waiting for the BIG things to happen. But success is not built on the big things. Success is built on the little achievements we have on a daily basis which then snow-balls into bigger achievements.
Plus you love feeling good about yourself darling. That is why you are going after the big goals in the first place. The better you feel about yourself, the more you’ll do to enforce that feeling. While you’re at it, why don’t you pick just one of those little achievements and celebrate it? Go for a nice long walk along the beach. Have that extra long bubble bath. Wear that insane pair of shoes you’ve had in the back of your cupboard for the last 6 months waiting for the perfect occasion.
4. Track the progress you have made thus far. I remember swimming my first IronMan. It felt like all I was doing is swinging my arms and standing still. The motion of the water can be extremely deceptive and it took me a while to realize that focusing on the buoys was the only way to truly measure the progress I was making. When I realized that I was moving forward even when it felt like I was going back, it motivated me to keep going with renewed purpose behind the effort. When you have been working with your head down it might feel like you have not made any progress, but when you start tracking it you will find the end a lot closer than you thought.
5. Figure out the next action and take it. Yes, nothing feels as good as taking action. And you don’t have to have all the answers now to get started again. All you need is the next step. It is said that the cure for depression is action, and I couldn’t agree more.
Viola! From sitting in a heap to running with purpose again in 5 easy steps. This process can literally happen in 2 hours if you’re determined to get your mojo back.
It has been my experience that all achievers work with coaches for exactly this reason. We are human. We have our up times and our down times. Coaches ensure that the down times are kept to a minimum and that their clients bounce back with as little effort and loss of time as possible.
If you’re working on those really big goals and it feels like you’re running through peanut butter right now, then let’s chat. Book a free discovery call here and let’s see if my style of coaching is right for you to get you to your finish line asap.